5106 North LaCrosse Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60630-2431

Sunday Service

8:00 a.m - Slovak Language
9:30 a.m. - English Language
11:30 a.m. - Contemporary

History

1893 to Present

Trinity Slovak Lutheran Church was organized on October 8, 1893, led by members of the Slovak Evangelical Society, which had been organized in November 1892 to foster conditions to establish religious services for Slovak immigrants in Chicago.

Trinity Slovak 1Originally meeting in the German school at Bickerdike and Superior Streets, the congregation purchased a church building (pictured above) at May and Huron Streets on September 1, 1901. Members on the West and South Sides found this location difficult to travel to. A second congregation, Sts. Peter and Paul Lutheran, now in Riverside, Ill., was established to serve that area of Chicago.

In 1911, due to a lack of space at the May and Huron building, as well as the migration of members to other parts of Chicago, a church building (pictured above) was purchased at Chicago and Noble Avenues. This building served the congregation until 1950.

Many members had moved to the northern part of Chicago. To serve them a new church building was constructed in 1923 at Wilson and Kilbourn in the Mayfair neighborhood. By the late 1930s plans were made to sell both buildings and construct one large church, but World War II forced a delay in these plans. From 1941 to 1950 Trinity shared the building of Mayfair Methodist Church at Kilpatrick and Wilson Avenues, as its second building.

Trinity Slovak 2On February 19, 1950 the new church building (pictured at top of page) was dedicated at 5106 N. LaCrosse Ave.

Sons of the congregation

  • Louis Klesken
  • Stephen Tuhy
  • Stephen Osusky
  • Daniel Bella
  • George Roh
  • William Kmet
  • Jaroslav J. Pelikan, Jr.
  • Theodore Pelikan
  • Clifford Hanus

Original records

Original record books should be found at the congregation, 5106 N. LaCrosse Ave., Chicago, IL 60630-2431. The ELCA Archives has congregational histories and other materials relating to Trinity Slovak. For other information, including photos of our previous parishes, please visit the ELCA Archives website: http://www.elca.org/archives/chicagochurches/holy_trinityulcanw.html